1.15.2006

Chronicles Of A (Near)Teenage Diva...Part 1

For those of you who didn't know, I have two kids. My son is 11 and my daughter...The Diva...is 9 going on 22. They are a constant source of entertainment in my life and I find myself consistently having the broadest range of emotions imaginable concerning them. Now, a son is an entirely different creature than a daughter. His room smells, he makes the full array of nasty noises, and he's very logical and down-to-earth in his approach to things. But I didn't come here today to speak about him. What follows is the first in what will likely be a long series of posts chronicling one little girls evolution from childhood to being a teenage diva.

I think the thing I have the most trouble adapting to is her wanting to look and act like a grown-up already. I mean, when I was 9 I don't remember the girls seeming so mature. Hell, I don't remember thinking about girls until 12 or so! I think it's natural for every one of us Dad's out there to want our little girls to remain little girls indefinitely. It's tough knowing that the days of her sitting on my lap and giving me a big hug are numbered. The inevitibility of me not being the first man in her life chills me to the core.

Exhibit A. We got the kids a cell phone for Christmas...something they could take with them on sleepovers or when they have activities. It's turned into Rachel's social line. It would be easier for me to count the minutes in the day that she isn't talking on it than it would to count the time she is. Whether she's playing a game, watching TV, whatever...you can bet she has the headset plugged in and is talking to a friend on it. My little girl now spends more time on the phone than she does talking to her family. Ugh...

Exhibit B. She finally talked her mother into curling her hair. I sat and watched as they worked the curling stuff into her hair, rolled it into curlers, installed a shower cap over it, and sent her to bed. Yes, my daughter...my little girl...slept in curlers! As we were getting ready for church yesterday, they took the curlers out and brushed her hair out. Lord help me, she comes walking out of the bathroom easily looking 5 years older than she did the day before. Don't get me wrong, it looked really good! It's just that she's not supposed to look 14 yet. Ugh again...

Exhibit C. Dressing up. When she was 5, to dress up meant taking some of her Mother's old ballet outfits, putting them on, and dancing about the house. Now it means something entirely different. I was first made aware of this phenomenon the last time I went to buy her clothes. The things I was picking out just weren't cutting it. She has become very fashion conscious and completely passed her old man by. Jeans with designs on them, colorful belts, pretty shirts, soemthing other than tennis shoes, and...(*gasp*) TRAINING BRAS. What happened to my little tomboy??? Her hair has to be done, she has to be looking good to leave the house. I feel that heartburn coming back now...and I KNOW I have less hair than I did when I started writing this post.

My little girl is starting to turn into a young lady and it just doesn't sit well with me. I know it's going to happen no matter how much I want it not to, and I will love her unconditionally throughout. I know we've raised our kids right. They have the right values, they have great heads on their shoulders. But with each passing day, I yearn to have my little girl hang around just a little bit longer.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Great post.

    I have 3 children of my own, 2 boys (9&7) and 1 girl (3) and while i have many years until i have to deal with what your are experiencing, i see the signs now. My daughter loves to play dress up, she likes to put on chapstick and pretend it's lipstick, and she loves anything to do with Princesses. Thankfully she is still a tomboy and still likes to ruff house and wrestle with her 2 older brothers. But deep down inside i know, at some point, that will change.

    I am NOT looking forward to the teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:20 PM

    You know son, moms feel the same way. Hard sometimes to see your baby all grown, family of his own, and even though it's fully what you intend, making his way in the world just fine without you. Thanks for continuing to make me feel necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:32 AM

    This is exactly the reason I'm glad your mother had two boys. A pretty daughter is something I'm glad I didn't have to deal with. I'm sure I would have made a mess if it.

    ReplyDelete