4.24.2006

I See Weird People

I feel a little bit like that kid from the movie "The Sixth Sense", except I'm seeing weird people instead of dead people.

Now, this is nothing new I know and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one seeing them...and I can only hope (futile I'm sure) that someone isn't looking at me and saying the same thing! It's just that the people who are celebrities for whatever reason and the people that get interviewed on the evening news or on news magazine shows just seem to get weirder and weirder. No concept of "normal", no perception of what reality is to most of us.

Driving in to work this morning, I hear on the radio that Tom Cruise is planning on eating the placenta from the recent birth of his baby. What?!?!?!?! A caller to the show went on to point out that this is common practice in many cultures around the world and is, in fact, a delicacy! You have GOT to be kidding me. I simply have no basis for wrapping my brain around this. What good is supposed to come of that? Why on earth would you want to eat that thing? It isn't food...it's a reproductive organ! Don't even get me started on Scientology...there is so much room for the discussion of weirdness there that I might overrun my word allotment for one post. Let me just try and sum it up by saying that it wouldn't surprise me if I heard one day that Scientologists were planning a moonlight party comprising of a healthy dose of arsenic laced Kool-Aid while waiting for the galactic warlords to come and and take them away while raining down their destruction on all of us non-believers.

What is it about becoming famous that you completely lose touch with reality? Is there nothing anymore that shocks us or repulses us? Have we come to an age where everything is acceptable if that's what it takes to avoid pissing anyone else in the world off? You have people doing things today that would have gotten them the gas chamber 30 years ago...and they get away with it! You have criminals who can now get away with claiming temporary insanity? Isn't murder, rape, or a variety of other abominable acts by definition insane???

Are people like me, who find the way people act anymore completely off the weird scale, the minorty now...making us the weird ones? Here are just a few more examples of things I find weird...see if you agree!

Why is it that after a tornado, hurricane, or some other natural phenomenon blows through town, the only people that the news reporters can find to interview are the ones with dirty shirts and no teeth?

Why is it that star athletes can get away with doing things that would put the rest of us in a cell next to a big man named Bubba for a very long time...but they get nothing more than a slap on the wrist and a start in their team's next game?

Why is that 99% of all "reality" shows on television have so little to do with reality as to render the entire genre ironic?

I suppose weirdnes is just a part of life and that what is weird to some will always be perfectly acceptable to others. Maybe it's just me...maybe it isn't getting worse. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:25 AM

    I see society, as a whole, on a slow, steady moral decline. I believe there are so many things that at one time were considered rude, impolite or just plain unacceptable have now become acceptable, have become the norm that it's erroding our morals.

    I think that (some)Celebs and Athletes are the worst offenders.

    The only thing I can think to do is work harder with my kids to teach them the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, acceptable and not acceptable.

    Also, we all need to be better role models.

    ReplyDelete